What is log in rate limiting and account locking?
Ubersmith has a built-in mechanism for preventing brute force login attempts. When a login attempt is made, the system checks the number of failed log in attempts for the connecting IP address and/or user for the preceding 30 minutes. If the number of failed log in attempts is five or more, the login is denied. You can unlock your account by changing your password, without having to wait for the 30-minute unlock period to expire. Continued failed login attempts extend the lockout period.
What is Whitelisting?
What does the error "Too many login attempts, please try again later" mean?
- Unlock a client account by clicking Edit from the Login Information section of their client profile.
- Unlock an administrators account from the Login Activity report in Reports & Stats.
Why do searches take a long time to complete?
There are two reasons searches may be taking significant amounts of time to complete within Ubersmith.
- If you are using Zend Lucene, and have more than 50,000 records in your instance's search index, we advise upgrading to the more robust Apache Solr search server.
- If you have less than 50,000 records in your index, you may want to consider increasing the memory and processing resources allocated to your Ubersmith instance environment.
Why are new devices, clients, etc. not displaying in search results?
While new entries are normally added to the indexing queue instantly, it may take up to 5 minutes for these records to become searchable. If expected results fail to appear after 5 minutes, it is likely that there is an issue with your search server. The following issues may prevent new clients, devices, etc. from being indexed properly:
- The cron job for poll.php is not running every 5 minutes, or at all.
- The search directory is not writable by the web server. The search directory should be set to 777, and should be writable by the system user that runs your web server.
- The memory limit on your instance's host is too low. We recommend that PHP's memory limit be set to at least 128MB.
- [cPanel Users] PHP's PCNTL and POSIX extensions are not installed.
Why am I not seeing any search results, when I should be?
There are a few syntax-related items that may prevent Ubersmith's search system from returning expected results.
- Partial search strings (such as "greg" for "gregory") must include a trailing asterisk (*).
- Ensure your instance's search server is indexing results.
What does "Cannot connect to SOLR server" error mean?
This could means one of the following:
- Tomcat (Solr's parent process) is not running
- Ubersmith cannot connect to Solr on the port specified in the Search Engine section of Settings.if your Solr install is running on a separate host, update the Host field in Search Engine to match the IP of Solr's host.
What do reindex links do?
They reindex the related section or entirety of your search system. Generally speaking, we do not advise that your search system be reindexed unless advised by the Ubersmith support team.